From today's featured article
Tirpitz in 1943 or 1944
Operation Paravane was a British air raid of World War II on the German battleship Tirpitz. The attack on 15 September 1944 by 21 Royal Air Force heavy bombers did irreparable damage, rendering the ship unfit for combat. A series of raids conducted from April to August by Royal Navy aircraft carriers had sought unsuccessfully to sink or disable the battleship at her anchorage in Kaafjord in the far north of German-occupied Norway, encountering formidable German defences. In September, Avro Lancaster bombers from two elite squadrons of RAF Bomber Command, flying from an airfield in the Soviet Union, attacked using heavy bombs and air-dropped mines. All of the British aircraft returned to base. The Allies were unable to confirm the extent of the battleship's damage, and conducted two further heavy bomber raids against her in late 1944 that sank the ship with considerable loss of life. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that the mushroom Pholiota squarrosoides (pictured) has decayed logs of the trees Acer saccharum and Tilia glabra in the Great Lakes region of the US?
- ... that while Greenpeace activist Steve Sawyer was celebrating his birthday ashore with his crew, French agents bombed and sank their boat, the Rainbow Warrior?
- ... that Bharatiya Janata Party politicians Maneka Gandhi and Santosh Gangwar, current members of the 17th Lok Sabha, have been elected to the Indian lower house for the eighth time?
- ... that during the English Civil War, Katherine Stuart smuggled messages from Charles I to royalist sympathisers in London?
- ... that in 1949, the students of Northwestern Schools underwrote the US$40,000 cost to build KTIS in Minneapolis, the first radio station of Northwestern Media?
- ... that Australian astrophysicist Kirsten Banks was inspired to learn about her Wiradjuri heritage while training at the Sydney Observatory?
- ... that Alexander's bush squirrel is named after Lieutenant Boyd Alexander, a British Army officer, explorer, and ornithologist?
- ... that 19-year-old mxmtoon, who records lo-fi songs in her parents' guest bedroom, reached 100 million streams and nearly sold out an international tour before releasing her first album?
| || |
In the news
On this day